The Long Island FQHC, Inc. (Long Island Federally Qualified Health Center or LIFQHC) is a non-profit healthcare organization with 7 health centers, providing primary care and preventative medicine in the following locations in Nassau County: Roosevelt, Elmont, Hempstead, Freeport, Oceanside, and New Cassel/Westbury. In addition, the LIFQHC has 3 school-based health centers, WIC offices (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) in 3 locations, and a Health Home Care Coordination program. As federally qualified health centers, we serve the individuals in our communities, providing enhanced services, expanded hours and reduced prescription pricing, while raising the level of care. We treat patients regardless of income, residency or immigration status.
The Long Island FQHC offers a stable employment opportunity with a growing company, and competitive base compensation along with health and dental insurance, paid time off, 401-K with company match, paid holidays, employee discounts and much more.
The mission of LIFQHC is to provide access to equitable, comprehensive, optimal healthcare by improving the overall wellness of all individuals in our communities and delivering high quality extensive patient centered care.
Creating healthier communities by transforming the health care system one person at a time.
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant/Clerk Mobile Coach Driver
REPORTS TO: Nurse Manager
The Medical Assistant Mobile Coach Driver will be responsible for driving the Mobile Coach, a 40 foot mobile health center (like an RV), to various locations on Long Island to provide services to patients or engage in outreach events, including performing daily checks and maintenance. When not driving, this position will also be called upon to assist as needed with the check-in of patients and other administrative tasks, assisting in preparing patients to see the provider, taking vital signs, and other routine medical assisting duties.
The following statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies considered necessary to perform the job's essential functions and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of this position.
- Promptly greets, assists, and directs patients pleasantly and professionally.
- Responsible for patient check-in, registration, and check-out.
- Assists the practitioners with patient care in conducting clinical examinations and materials preparation, i.e., dressing changes, Pap Smear, etc.
- Responsible for taking vital signs, administering tuberculin tests, performing specimen collection procedures, routine eye screening, hearing tests, hematocrit, urinalysis, and urine culture.
- Performs EKG and simple laboratory procedures
- Distributes lab reports to practitioners for review
- Provides patient counseling regarding procedures (Ex. lab tests)
- Assist in the maintenance of inventories and stocking of supplies in examination rooms, nursing and lab areas
- Communicates and coordinates with clinical and school staff to ensure timely patient care.
- Participates in off-site screening projects as needed
- Participates in departmental QA and other patient-related committees as needed
- Participates in outreach and community screenings as needed
- Participates in case management and patient surveys in maintaining quality assurance
- Complete all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies, and standard practices in customer service, ADA, and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA.
- Drive Mobile Health Coach to different Locations in the Nassau area.
- Perform maintenance, pre/post checklists, and log duties for the mobile unit.
- Clean and sanitize mobile unit (exam rooms, floors, bathroom)
- Transport supplies from the main office to the mobile unit
- Instructs patient/guardian of documentation required for a visit. On subsequent visits, verifies demographic and billing information to ensure accuracy.
- Obtains patient demographic and insurance information verifies insurance eligibility, and enters accurate information in the electronic health record.
- Provides patients with an explanation of all registration forms, obtains patient/guardian signatures on required consents and acknowledgments, and scans all accurately completed registration forms in the electronic health record.
- Navigates through insurance portals and accurately interprets coverage information such as the plan coverage description, copayment, primary care provider, etc/
- Schedules patient's appointments in accordance with criteria established by the health center.
- Performs appointment reminder calls and no-show calls.
- Performs other clerical duties such as filing, photocopying, and scanning of medical records.
- Assists with the preparation of patients before seeing practitioners.
- Acts as a translator for patients as needed
- Acts as the patient's advocate and liaison for the preservation of patient's rights
- When the mobile medical unit is not in use, it carries out assigned tasks in the health center.
- Oversee the safety and security of the MHC and report any suspicious activity or issues to the appropriate authorities. Assist program staff with any security issues or disorderly conduct on the vehicle.
- Maintain a log of Mobile Health Center's mechanical operation. Communicate any maintenance needs to the Practice Manager and the Facility Manager.
- Clean and sanitize MHC after each tour in the field, including disposal of toilet, shower and sink waste daily in compliance with infectious disease precautions. Deliver infectious disease waste to the designated Health Center for disposal.
- Maintain a log of Mobile Health Center’s mechanical operation. Communicate any maintenance needs to the Mobile Health Center Coordinator and the Manager of Facilities & Security.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Medical Assistant Certification required
- Basic CPR (BCLS) Certification
- Two years experience working in the health care field
- Capacity for covering Medical Assistants at all sites as needed
- Must have 2+ years of experience driving a same or similar sized vehicle.
- Must possess a valid NYS Class B CDL driver’s license with no more than one moving violation in the last 24 months
- Bilingual in English and Spanish/Creole required.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
MORE INFORMATION: This is a non-exempt position.