Title: Dental Hygienist
Purpose: Promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis; oral cancer screening and radiographic studies; charting conditions of decay and disease; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient's oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Licensed to work in the state of New York as a Dental Hygienist
- Graduate of an accredited college of Dental Hygiene
- CPR certified
- Knowledge of current principles, methods and procedures for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment in area of expertise
- Minimum 1 year experience in a dental care clinic
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required
- Leadership and organizational skills essential
- Bilingual especially in Spanish is preferred
- Computer literate preferred
- Self-motivated and flexible to daily patient schedule and/or clinic needs
Reports to: Dental Supervisor
The Chautauqua Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, disability or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, pregnancy, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, citizenship or membership in any other legally protected class.