Health Center Policy and Finance Intern
(Fall 2022 – Spring 2023) Salary: $20.00 per hour
The mission of the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS) is to ensure that all New Yorkers, including those who are medically underserved, have continuous access to high quality community-based health care services including a primary care home. To do this, CHCANYS serves as the voice of community health centers as leading providers of primary health care in New York State. CHCANYS is a dynamic, team-oriented, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of and provides technical assistance to federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) throughout New York State. FQHCs, also known as Community Health Centers (CHCs), provide comprehensive community-based primary and preventive care services to anyone who seeks care, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay.
CHCANYS is New York State’s Primary Care Association, comprised of all FQHCs in New York State. New York’s 800 FQHCs sites provide primary care services to 2.1 million New Yorkers annually and are central to both federal and state health care reform strategies. CHCANYS is nationally recognized for its work in health policy, quality improvement, health information technology, and training and technical assistance. CHCANYS’ Policy Team works to address health care disparities and ensure access to care for low-income and underserved communities through investments in FQHCs at the local, State, and Federal levels.
CHCANYS is seeking a Health Center Policy and Finance Intern to become a member of the Policy Team, reporting to the Director of Health Center Reimbursement. The intern will develop a deep knowledge of the health care policy environment in New York State, supporting CHCANYS’ policy and advocacy efforts. The incumbent will conduct research and analysis in health center finance and will contribute to advocacy and technical assistance on CHCANYS’ top priorities, including sustaining telehealth access and supports, representing CHCs interests in Medicaid reform, and advancing value-based payment.
This internship will be up to 20 hours per week and will occur during the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters. The position will be mostly remote, with some potential for in person opportunities.
· Conduct research on topics in primary care payment reform and health care financing;
· Conduct fiscal and quantitative analysis to support health center policy initiatives;
· Assist in the development of health center training and technical assistance (such as webinars, peer learning groups, and tools & resources) in the areas of and Value Based Payment (VBP), health center Alternate Payment Models (APMs), and health center finance and regulatory compliance;
· Monitor, track, and report on Federal, State, and City legislative and regulatory activity impacting health center finance and operations;
· Assist in preparation of high-quality internal and external written materials such as fact sheets, white papers, and policy briefings;
· Develop written updates on relevant policy and regulatory health center finance and compliance issues for CHCANYS Reimbursement Committee and Community Newsletter;
· Participate in Policy Team’s in-person and virtual Federal and State advocacy efforts on health center policy and finance priorities;
· Assist with reporting on Federal and private grants as needed; and
· Join policy team members while attending relevant government and stakeholder meetings as needed.
· Enrolled in or recently graduated from a Master’s program in Public Policy, Public Health, Finance, or relevant field;
· Some familiarity with health care finance including Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial payers;
· Interest in learning about community health center financing and primary care payment reform;
· Ability to work independently balancing multiple projects and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment;
· Ability to synthesize complex information and communicate concisely and effectively verbally and in writing
· Demonstrable fiscal and quantitative analytic skills; and
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams), Zoom, Salesforce (preferred), and Power BI (preferred).
The Community Health Care Association of New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of CHCANYS to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment, compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, religion or creed, gender (including "gender identity" - which refers to a person's actual or perceived sex, and includes self-image, appearance, behavior, or expression, whether or not different from that traditionally associated with the legal sex assigned to the person at birth), disability, age (18 and over), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, marital status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status, sexual orientation, or status as a victim of domestic violence, a sex offense or stalking. CHCANYS complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations and ordinances prohibiting employment discrimination. We encourage applications from people of all gender identities and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions unless such accommodation causes an undue hardship. Generally, the working conditions are good with little or no exposure to extremes in health, safety hazards and/or hazardous materials. While work is normally performed in an office setting, the individual must have the ability to travel, depending on assignments/projects. Our organization continues to comply with federal, state, and city Covid guidelines to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees and clients during this pandemic. All employees of CHCANYS must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States; however, we are not able to sponsor visas.
All candidates are required to submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample by August 17, 2022. Please forward all documents directly to Bethany Wolfe at email@example.com.
Job Type: Internship
Pay: $20.00 per hour
CHCANYS complies with all federal, state, and city Covid guidelines and policies.