The Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant (NP/PA) functions in the primary care group at Whitney Young Health coordinating medical care, providing medical supervision and direct patient care.
- Provides primary care directly, emphasizing accessibility, health promotion, illness prevention and continuity of care to patients presenting with both minor and complex health issues.
- Takes a complete history including medical, psychosocial, economic, relationship and family status.
- Completes physical examinations, performs/orders appropriate diagnostic tests.
- Discusses health concerns/diagnosis with the patient and together determines an appropriate plan of care.
- Develops reviews and approves clinical protocols and best practice guidelines.
Quality of Service:
- Documents all patients encounters completely and in a timely manner. This includes proper documentation of phone calls, prescription, and if applicable, the complete dictation of patient visits for a session prior to leaving the health center.
- Adheres to clinical practice guidelines that are adopted by the specialty group or an appropriate committee.
- Keeps medical knowledge current through attendance at medical CME programs at least 25 hours per year.
- Maintains an acceptable level of compliance with clinical and regulatory standards including medical record documentation per Joint Commission standards.
- Demonstrates appropriate interactions toward patients in a manner that helps to put patients at ease.
- Participants in the Performance Improvement activities of the Health Center through chart audits, development and implementation of practice standards.
- Actively supports the implementation of the Patient Centered Medical Home model of care at all clinical sites.
- Works collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team to provide treatment, ongoing follow-up and evaluation of the plan of care with the patient.
- Supports established policies and procedures of the Health Center. Makes recommendations and contributes to policy formulation.
- Starts patient schedule on time and leaves after completing the work schedule including needed record documentation.
- Completes required documentation for referrals and consultations.
- Returns patient telephone calls within an appropriate time frame based on patient needs and expectations.
- Assists with on-call coverage as determined by the Director of Adult Medicine, Pediatrics or the Chief Medical Officer.
- Demonstrates excellence in both internal and external customer service.
- Understands and is able to effectively communicate HIPAA compliance, corporate compliance and client confidentiality.
- Ensures and/or remains in compliance with local, state, and federal regulation, i.e.DHHS HRSA and NYSDOH, and all accreditation standards (e.g. Joint Commission and NCQA-PCMH).
- Adheres to the National Patient Safety Goals as defined by the Joint Commission and the Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Services.
- Other duties as assigned.
TEACHING AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Supervises the clinical practice of medical/NP/PA students, residents and other practitioners as appropriate and contributes to the learning of students from other disciplines.
- Acts as a resource to staff and the community regarding current trends in health care as well as specific health issues.
- Participates in community activities and research designed to promote health and prevent diseases.
Graduate of a registered approved Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Program; Completion of required State/National Certification Programs; Current licensure and registration as a Registered Professional Nurse/Physician Assistant in the State of New York and certification as a Nurse Practitioner; Previous experience providing medical care within a primary medical care environment.
Bilingual/Multi-lingual abilities. Experience in Community Health. Experience in delivering culturally competent healthcare. Interest in on-going learning, best practice development, and education.
Please be aware that as a facility regulated under Article 28 of the New York State Public Health Law, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of employment. Whitney Young Health also requires the COVID-19 booster.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected status.
Salary range: $95,000 - $110,000 annually