Care For the Homeless (CFH) seeks to add a key staff member to its executive team: an Executive Director of Healthcare. With 26 locations throughout the city, CFH is a Federally Qualified Health Center and HRSA 330h grantee that operates an integrated primary care network delivering medical and behavioral health services to New York City’s most medically vulnerable population. We use a trauma-informed and person-centered model of care, reflected in our designation by NCQA as a Patient-Centered Medical Home.
CFH is also an innovative provider of transitional housing and social services. A key element of our strength is the integration of health care and transitional housing to help clients achieve stability and move them quickly into permanent housing.
Informed by our values of reducing racial and economic disparities, the CFH team works every day to engage patients and provide high quality, respectful care that assists our clients to improve their health over time. The CFH team believes that homeless clients deserve the highest quality healthcare and we are committed to measuring our processes and outcomes to ensure we are constantly improving. The Executive Director will be a key position in a scalable management structure that will support our expansion to a larger and more complex network of services. While CFH’s growth has been rapid, it is being conducted with the discipline of a strategic plan on which the management team and Board of Directors are highly aligned.
This is an opportunity for someone who wants to work at the leading edge of transforming and expanding an innovative, accountable health care model for medically and behaviorally complex patients. The Executive Director of Healthcare will be an entrepreneurial leader responsible for coordinating and monitoring integrated care service delivery, outcome accountability in a fiscally sustainable model, quality assurance, utilization review, recruitment and staff coverage, health informatics and medical record documentation, utilization and productivity, and all medical/administrative interface functions for the Care for the Homeless healthcare division. The Executive Director will partner with the CFO to lead the revenue cycle and ensure that CFH is maximizing its patient volume, utilization and revenue. The Executive Director will work closely with the CEO and Chief Medical Officer (CMO) on developing new business opportunities, negotiating contracts and procedures with managed care companies, and ensuring that CFH’s Health Services Division meets all of its contractual and legal requirements.
This position is responsible for CFH’s compliance with all applicable standards, statutes, regulations, and program requirements. The Executive Director will participate with the Chief Medical Officer, the rest of the executive team, and the Board in determining the strategic direction of CFH health services in light of the external health reform environment, changes in policies, and the needs of those we serve – or could be serving.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF HEALTHCARE:
1. Establishes standards for practice management and patient satisfaction/experience and maintains the organization’s policies and procedures of the health centers consistent with NYS DOH Article 28, HRSA BPHC 330h, HIV/AIDS Bureau NYCDOHMH, NYSDOH, NYC DHS, and relevant MCO guidelines.
2. Collaborates with Chief Medical Officer to ensure compliance of medical services and quality improvement activities including Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), patient grievances and programmatic activities in order to achieve a high quality of care, cost containment, on-going staff training and compliance.
3. Ensures that resources are used efficiently, and that provider staffing maximizes their contribution to meeting patient, clinic, and fiscal goals of the organization.
4. Is a member of the CFH executive leadership and participates in determining the strategic direction of CFH, including but not limited to health services.
5. Serves as a staff member to the Board’s Continuous Quality Improvement Committee.
6. Lead and supervise department staff in multiple site-based and community-based facilities delivering primary care, behavioral health services and dental services in an integrated model.
7. Develop, deploy, evaluate and maintain policies and procedures that support the execution of CFH’s mission and improves the patient and staff experience at CFH. Maintains focus on CFH’s strategic plan and ensures the efforts of the health services team are focused on achieving the goals of the plan.
8. Maximize the health services division’s provider productivity and patient utilization and outcomes while simultaneously delivering high-quality clinical care. Coordinate work schedules of all medical program staff to achieve maximum efficiency.
9. Ultimately responsible for patient experience at CFH: ensures patients are treated respectfully and fairly.
10. Responsible for assessment of candidates for employment, coordination of onboarding, orientation, ongoing in-services, training, supervision, evaluation and discipline for department employees. Actively partners with the Human Resources Department and the CMO on these activities.
11. In partnership with the Director of Compliance, facilitates the division’s compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to FQHC/HRSA and Article 28/NYS.
12. Leads and coordinates CFH’s HRSA relationship, including Strategic Area Competitions and Operational Site Visits, annual non-competitive review, annual Federal Tort Claim (FTCA) submission and other ongoing HRSA funding initiatives.
13. Management of CFH’s centralized call center and appointment scheduling. Management of patient flow, ensuring patients are served at the CFH facilities that best meet their needs.
14. In conjunction with the CMO and CQI Director, responsible for regular quality assurance reports of patient data, consistent with all FQHC (Federally Qualified Health Center) and NYS Article 28 reporting requirements and the Board of Directors approved CQI Plan.
15. Oversee CFH’s Health Information Management (HIM) systems and staff; ensures provider training to enable timely completion, periodic updates, and capture of all clinical and financial data.
16. In partnership with the CFO and finance team, leads and coordinates CFH’s revenue cycle management to improve revenue collection and minimize errors requiring re-submissions of claims.
17. In conjunction with the CMO, plans for and conducts monthly webinars and quarterly meetings with CFH’s professional and support staff.
18. In partnership with the CEO and CMO, assesses new business opportunities, develops proposals and budgets, negotiates with payers and contracting agencies, implements new programs, manages relationships with payers and contracting agencies, and evaluates CFH’s performance, making adjustments where necessary to improve performance.
19. In conjunction with the CEO, CFO and CMO, participates in negotiations with managed care companies, evaluates payment mechanisms and programmatic requirements, oversees the work of the health services division in executing these responsibilities, and facilitates the necessary reporting and compliance activities.
20. Coordinates with the COO and the operations division to ensure that CFH facilities are maintained in a safe, “hospital clean”, and respectful manner.
21. Prepare reports and other documentation requested by regulatory agencies, CEO, CMO, and Board of Directors.
22. Hold staff accountable to expectations while simultaneously building morale and support for CFH’s mission.
23. Perform other functions as assigned by the CEO.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/LICENSURE OF AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF HEALTHCARE:
· Advanced degree in relevant field from an accredited professional school required (e.g., MBA, MPH).
EXPERIENCE OF AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF HEALTHCARE:
1. 3-5 years in senior management in a Federally Qualified Health Center/Article 28 facility/network.
2. Successful track record completing a HRSA Operational Site Visit, triennial Service Area Competition submission and Article 28 Certificate of Need application.
3. Successful track record improving provider productivity and patient utilization at a comparable organization.
4. We strongly prefer a candidate who brings experience with homeless patients or other vulnerable populations; we will consider candidates without this experience who impress us with their understanding of our mission.
5. Experienced with health care planning and administration within an ambulatory health care setting.
6. Knowledge of medical staff organization and structure, medical credentialing and privileging, outcomes-based quality of care, clinical effectiveness and performance improvement.
7. Experience working in a harm reduction, trauma-informed care model of service delivery.
SKILLS OF AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF HEALTHCARE:
1. Excellent written and verbal communication skills; conflict resolution skills, demonstrated commitment to staff and personal continuing education and training to improve the ability to deliver superior service for the population served by CFH.
2. Commitment to service excellence for vulnerable populations.
3. Commitment to staff development and quality of work life.
4. An entrepreneurial spirit that seeks out new opportunities to achieve CFH’s mission.
5. Knowledge of health care planning and administration within an ambulatory health care setting serving a vulnerable, diverse clientele.
6. Ability to represent the organization in community forums and educational seminars.
7. Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in all aspects of work life and a commitment to reducing racial and economic disparities in access to and quality of health care.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Paid Time Off
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Healthcare Spending Saving (HSA)
- Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Commuter Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Retirement Savings Account
- Education tuition reimbursement assistance
- Gym memberships discounts
- Employee discounts
To apply: please send resume to email@example.com