The Director of Dental Services, with approval of the governing board, directs administration of the health care facility’s dental program in accordance with accepted national standards and administrative policies.
- Board Certified in general dentistry and New York State licensure DDS or DDM required.
- EMR experience required.
- Eligible to participate in NYS Medicaid program.
- Twenty-four (24) Continued Medical Education (CME) credits per credentialing cycle (two (2) years).
- Relevant administrative experience in a teaching dental institution required. Familiarity serving persons with development disabilities or disabilities desirable.
- Five (5) years management and supervisory experience required.
- Strong ability to support, lead and direct staff effectively to accomplish work place goals required.
- Strong oral, written, and organizational skills required.
Primary duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- confers with the CMO to formulate policies and recommend procedural changes;
- Diagnoses and treats diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums, and related oral structures:
- examines patient to determine nature of condition, utilizing x rays, dental instruments, and other diagnostic procedures;
- Cleans, fills, extracts, and replaces teeth, using rotary and hand instruments, dental appliances, medications, and surgical implements;
- Provides preventive dental services to patient, such as applications of fluoride and sealants to teeth, and education in oral and dental hygiene;
- establishes training program to advance knowledge and clinical skill levels of resident dentists studying for dental specialization;
- confers with the HR to implement procedures for hiring of dental professional staff and participates in approving hiring and promotion of staff members;
- establishes work schedules and assigns dental staff members to duty stations to maximize efficient use of staff to provide patient care;
- observes dental staff members at work to ensure safe and ethical practices and to solve problems and demonstrate techniques;
- confers with the Director of Finance to submit budget and statistical reports used to justify expenditures for equipment, supplies, and personnel;
- develops and oversees an annual Quality Assurance Plan regarding provision of dental services for submission and review by the governing board and ensures implementation of clinical studies;
- participates in the development and annual review of policies and procedures for various health care facility dental activities;
- participates in health care facility committees as necessary;
- represents the health care facility at conferences and/or community meetings, including OPWDD Dental Task Force;
- facilitates development or expansion of the dental program services for scientific research, preventive dentistry and community health and welfare promotion.
- ensures adherence to all applicable program statutes, regulations and appropriate insurance billing practices;
- supervises dental personnel; participates in Infection Control and QA.