Dental Hygienist Brookville/Freeport locations up to 14hrs per week
The Dental Hygienist facilitates delivery of dental services by the dentist for Advantage Care patients.
- Associates degree from an accredited college or university in dental hygiene required; bachelor’s degree preferred
- New York State licensure required; basic life support certification
- Familiarity serving persons with developmental disabilities, developmental delays or disabilities desirable
- Strong ability to support busy dental teaching program serving OPWDD population as well as developmentally delayed children required
- Strong oral, written and organizations skills required
- Knowledge of Medicaid preferred.
Primary duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- performs dental prophylaxis on cooperative patients;
- cleans calcareous deposits, accretions and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums using dental instruments;
- feels lymph nodes under patient's chin to detect swelling or tenderness that could indicate presence of oral cancer;
- feels and visually examines gums for sores and signs of disease;
- examines gums, using probes, to locate periodontal recessed gums and signs of gum disease;
- applies fluorides and other cavity preventing agents to arrest dental decay;
- charts conditions of decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentist;
- makes impressions for study casts;
- may remove sutures and dressings;
- may place and remove rubber dams, matrices, and temporary restorations;
- may place, carve, and finish amalgam restorations;
- may remove excess cement from coronal surfaces of teeth;
- may provide clinical services and health education or desensitization programs to improve and maintain oral health of children and adults that are mentally retarded, developmentally delayed or disabled;
- may conduct dental health clinics for community groups to augment services of dentist
- monitors and distributes dental products.