New York State Medicaid Meaningful Use Registration & Attestation Guide
The New York State Medicaid Meaningful Use (MU) Registration & Attestation system, known as MEIPASS, is now available.
The deadline for Registration and Attestation to receive a 2012 Medicaid MU payment is March 31, 2013. You should begin completing the following steps now, as some will require time for State action.
1. Identify all of your Eligible Professionals and record all information required for registration. Eligible Professionals (EPs) include physicians, doctors of osteopathy, dentists, certified nurse midwives, nurse practitioners and physician assistants (if working at a PA-led FQHC). Use the attached spreadsheet to list all of your employed professionals in these categories and record all of the information required for registration.
2. Obtain written consent from each EP for assignment of incentive payments. Click here to read the NACHC Policy Report for suggested language.
4. Review the CHCANYS webinar on Medicaid MU Registration & Attestation available here.
5. Make sure all of your Eligible Professionals are enrolled in Medicaid Fee-for-Service (aka Professional Medicaid). The State is using the Professional Medicaid database to verify eligibility, as it has done for the Medicaid eRX incentive. If you have any doubts as to whether your EPs are enrolled in Professional Medicaid, or have questions about how to complete this enrollment, please see the Medicaid FFS Enrollment Tips for Meaningful Use, If your EPs are receiving Medicaid eRX incentive checks, they are enrolled in Professional Medicaid.
6. The provider must be linked to your organization’s ETIN (Electronic Transmitter Identification Number). Service bureau ETINs (which start with a 0) cannot be used for MEIPASS registration. To find your ETIN, log into ePACES at www.emedny.org/ePACES. There is an item toward the bottom on the left-hand menu called "Submitter". Click on that and you will see the TSN/ETIN.
If the EP has an ePaces account, he/she is (most likely) already linked to the organization's ETIN. Some centers are finding that providers who have been employed for a while are already linked, while newer ones are not.
Linkage of an EP and ETIN is accomplished through completion of the Certification Statement. Note: This statement must be notarized. The linkage cannot be made until the EP is enrolled in Medicaid Fee For Service (5. above).
7. Verify that all eligible providers have access to an active ePACES account. The ePACES account is required to log into the New York State MU Registration & Attestation system (MEIPASS). ePACES enrollment begins with issuance of a token (secure password) and then responding to a series of emails generated by accessing the website https://www.emedny.org/enroll/. Call 800-343-9000 to obtain a token. eMedNY will not issue a token until the ETIN linkage described in step 5 is completed. Click here for instructions.
If a provider already has an ePACES account but cannot remember the User ID and Password, assistance is available at the MEIPASS helpdesk 877-646-5410 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
9. Follow instructions in the Meaningful Use Provider Registration Instructions, attached, to complete the first part of the registration process on the CMS website. You will need each provider’s NPI. We encourage you to obtain the providers’ permission to complete the registrations on their behalf. To do so, your practice will need to obtain an NPPES I & A Web Account to access the registration system. Instructions are included.
Each provider will need to log into the system using his/her own NPPES User Account ID and password to approve your registration. If a provider cannot remember the account ID and password, help is available at 800-465-3203 or the CMS MU Registration Help Desk (888-734-6433).
After successful completion of the CMS registration, each EP will receive a welcome letter from New York State with a link for the MU Registration and Attestation System. (MEIPASS)
10. Perform the calculation to verify that 30% of your FQHC’s patient encounters are attributable to those receiving Medicaid or “needy individuals”. You will need to attest in MEIPASS that your practice meets the 30% threshold to establish your EP’s eligibility for the Medicaid Incentives. For detail on this calculation, please see Eligibility Calculations for Meaningful Use Incentives.
Click here for the excel workbook prepared by NY State Medicaid to guide the calculations. You do not need to provide data on hospital in-patient and ER encounters. 11. Sign up for the new eMedNY LISTSERV to receive information directly relating to the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program as updates are posted. Click on the link below and subscribe to Practitioner EHR Incentive Program updates. https://www.emedny.org/Listserv/eMedNY_Email_Alert_System.aspx
Thank you to Sandy Worden and Stephanie Rose of the Health Center Network of New York for preparation of several of the documents referenced above.