Heritage Health and Housing, Inc.
Position Title: Chief Executive Officer
416 West 127th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11236
County: New York (Manhattan)
Contact Name: Jamela Irvin
Contact Phone: 212-866-2600
CHCANYS Member Info: Member - Organizational
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) serves as the leader of the organization and its primary public representative, reporting to the board of directors. The CEO works in partnership with the board and the senior leadership of the organization to ensure that the organization fulfills its mission and to create strategies that ensure its future success and financial viability.
Incumbents in this job may have access to proprietary consumer or company information and must maintain the privacy and confidentiality of this information. All employees must perform their jobs with a focus on risk management, occupational safety and health, and providing internal and external customer service. Employees working in a supervisory capacity must practice effective human resources practices to ensure a healthy and compliant working environment.
KEY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbents in the job must be able to perform the key duties and responsibilities of the job and all other duties as assigned with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Collaborates with the board to define and articulate the organization’s mission and vision, and to develop strategies for achieving organizational success
- Creates annual operating plans that support strategic direction set by the board and correlate with annual operating budgets; submits annual budgets/plans to the board for approval
- Develops and monitors strategies for ensuring the long-term financial viability of the organization
- Develops future leadership within the organization
- Oversees the operations of the organization and manages its compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Creates and maintains procedures for implementing plans approved by the board of directors
- Promotes a culture that reflects the organization’s values, encourages good performance, and rewards productivity
- Promotes effective human capitals by hiring qualified staff and assist senior level staff in their efforts to retain, support the growth of staff in according with authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations
- Ensures that staff and board have sufficient and up-to-date information
- Ensures that all staff receive timely and regular evaluations on their performance
- Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations
- Assures that the organization and its mission, vision, values, programs, and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant public, private stakeholders
- Oversees staff in developing annual budgets that support operating plans and submits budgets for board approval
- Prudently manages the organization's resources within budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations
- Ensures that staff practices all appropriate accounting procedures in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Provides prompt, thorough, and accurate information to keep the board appropriately informed of the organization’s financial position
- Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals with board support
- Ensures board approval of the HRSA/BPHC 330 grant application
- Oversees staff in the development and implementation of fund raising plans that support strategies adopted by the Development Committee
- Serves as a primary person in donor relationships and the person to make one-on-one fund raising solicitations
- Oversees staff in the timely submission grant applications and progress reports for funders
- Serves as the primary spokesperson and representative for the organization
- Assures that the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders
- Actively advocates for the organization, its beliefs, and its programmatic efforts
- Acts as a liaison between the organization and the community, building relationships with peer organizations when appropriate
- Ensures strong and positive visibility of the organization’s mission in the community
- Attends appropriate public functions and makes effective public presentations.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with key individuals in both the public and private sectors.
- Works for strong communication with local Board, local, state and federal legislators
- Represents the organization at governmental task force in support of the organization’s mission.
- Participate as part of local, state and federal advisory committees, planners and funding bodies.
- Assures professional relationships with individuals and organizations which share a stake in health care and social services for the health underserved
- Oversees design, delivery, and quality of programs and services
- Stays abreast of current trends related to the organization’s mission and services and anticipates future trends likely to have an impact on its work
- Collects and analyzes evaluation information that measures the success of the organization’s program efforts; refines or changes programs in response to that information
Board Support and Leadership
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the organization’s board of directors and all board committees
- Supports operations and administration of the board by advising and informing board members and interfacing between board and staff
- Advises the board in the development of policies and planning recommendations
- Makes recommendations and supports the board during orientation and self-evaluation
- Supports and participates in the board's evaluation of the CEO
Position supervises members of the Senior Executive Team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
- Success at fund development, including knowledge of and success in attracting foundation and corporate grants
- Ability to identify, steward and solicit individual donors.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Strong presentation skills.
- The ability to foster a healthy organizational culture, to encourage teamwork and collaboration;
- Strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate;
- Effective at conflict management. Ability to raise the visibility of the organization through successful marketing including expansion of the membership base.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- A strong commitment to improving the quality of life for a multi-cultural, health underserved and marginalized population.
- Experience working with and developing an effective Board CEO relationship, strong legislative political savvy.
- Computer literate
- The position requires a minimum of a master’s degree in the field of public health/administration
- Requires an in-depth knowledge of social services programming including housing services for special population
- Expert knowledge in the areas of evaluation of successful/effective public health and psychosocial services – demonstrating significant and positive outcomes
- Knowledge of various client/patient based health and social services information systems, research, marketing, and nonprofit operations and functions are also a requirement
- Knowledge of board relations is important for the position
- Knowledge of electronic delivery systems is important but not required
Chief Executive Officer is assigned to the Administrative Office. Will be required to travel to other sites based on the needs of the agency and to attend conferences.
Please send resume and coverletter along with salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation Type: Salary
Job Type: Other