ACCESS COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER
Position Title: LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (LPN)
83 Maiden Lane
New York, New York 10038
County: New York (Manhattan)
Contact Name: DONNA MCNERNEY
Contact Phone: 212-780-2780
CHCANYS Member Info: Member - Organizational
Position: Licensed Practical Nurse
Position Type: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Position Reports To: Chief Medical Officer
Probationary Period(s): Twelve months
The LPN is responsible for the delivery of care to Access’ patients receiving medical and psychiatric services. The LPN works under the direct supervision of the registered nurse with patients in an effort to promote quality care and cost-effective outcomes. The LPN reports relevant findings to the clinical nurse in accordance with the NYS Practice Act. The LPN can identify common complications of treatment and their early signs and symptoms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
A. Clinical Practice Domain:
- Participates in the collection of data to assist the clinical nurse in the measurement and assessment of care related processes and outcomes to improve the quality of care.
- Monitors the patient and documents findings.
- Reports any deviation from baseline data to the clinical nurse who is responsible for the patient.
- Documents all patient care interventions and responses in accordance with policy in the patient record.
- Follows the treatment orders under the direction of the internist, family practitioner, NP/PA, clinical nurse manager, and clinical nurse.
- Administers medication by oral, sublingual, intramuscular, intradermal, subcutaneous, topical, dermal and inhalation routes as ordered, by the MD/NP/PA.
- Administers vaccinations and tuberculin tests, as ordered, by the MD/NP/PA under the direction of the clinical nurse.
- Perform a variety of diagnostic procedures; set up rooms with proper equipment for tests, EKG’s, blood draws and obtaining urine specimens.
- Surgical wound care using a sterile and aseptic technique.
- Establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with co-workers, families, peers and other health team members.
- Assure the privacy and personal dignity of patients.
- Perform infectious control procedures.
- Provide individualized patient teaching on preventative healthcare and health maintenance.
B. Professional Practice Domain
- Supports the mission, vision, philosophy and goals of Access’ Community Health Center.
- Maintains clinical competence.
- Demonstrates a humanistic, kind and caring attitude in the delivery of health care.
- Cooperates with supervisor, charge nurse and nursing staff.
- Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
- Demonstrates knowledge of effective communication with member of healthcare team and utilizes appropriate lines of communication.
- Accepts responsibility for own practice.
- Participates in staff development programs.
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
- Approaches patients in a respectful manner, acknowledging the Patient Bill of Rights.
- Maintains an attendance and punctuality record in accordance with departmental standards.
- Adheres to the dress code in accordance with departmental policy.
C. Administrative Practice Domain
- Demonstrates knowledge of Access’ standards, policies and procedures as well as regulatory agency standards relating to patient care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the legal implications of nursing practice.
- Current licensed practical nurse in New York State.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Committed and effective team worker.
- Strong commitment to the provision of quality medical care for medically underserved individuals.
- Proven capacity to work productively in a highly collaborative clinical setting.
Access Community Health Center provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants, with employment based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex ( with or without sexual conduct), age, disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, creed, genetic disposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic by law.
Compensation Type: Hourly
Job Type: Nursing