Apicha Community Health Center
Position Title: Nurse Manager
400 Broadway, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10013
County: New York (Manhattan)
Contact Name: Juliana Senior HR Generalist
Contact Phone: 6467445376
CHCANYS Member Info: Non – Member
Position Title: Nurse Manager
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Provides professional nursing care for Apicha Community Health Center patients, adhering to established clinical standards and practices. The purpose of this position is to provide nursing care to patients of all ages, gender, cultures, and background; provide physical and psycho-social support to patients and their significant others; welcome and create an inclusive environment for LGBTQ patients; support and guide members of the clinical team. As a member of the management staff, participate in the planning and development of the Nursing Department and work collaboratively with medical providers and all other members of the multidisciplinary team in managing care for a population of patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts an assessment of patients’ physical and psychosocial needs including pain assessment, allergies and objective data such as vital signs/weight/etc.
- Maintains reports of patients’ medical histories, monitors changes in their condition and adheres with protocols, rules and regulations to maintain complete medical records.
- Administers prescribed medications, immunizations and treatments, performs lab/diagnostic testing as ordered by providers, reports all critical lab values immediately.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the care given by interdisciplinary care team and communicates findings to the team,
- Provide basic education information to patients and family, focusing on self-care appropriate to their age and identified learning considerations and needs.
- Order and monitor medications, vaccines and medical supplies
- Triage urgent patient care requests (phone, walk-in, portal communication)
- Promotes wellness and healthy behaviors.
- Anticipate and oversees preparation of examination rooms with equipment and supplies required for visits. Assists providers with examination and procedures per request.
- Maintains hygienic and safe working environment in compliance with healthcare standards and procedures. Coordinates Infection Control efforts.
- Remains calm, performs effectively and professionally during peak periods of activity and in emergency situations.
- Conduct initial and annual N95 mask fitting.
- Directs, trains and supervises LPNs and Medical Assistants.
- Assist with population management by identifying patients lacking: preventive health screenings; recommended periodic testing; follow-up appointments (lost to follow-up); treatment or follow-up for actionable test results.
- In collaboration with medical providers, create and update patient standing orders
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Act in a professional manner, reflecting the mission of Apicha Community Health Center demonstrating compliance with all policy, procedures and federal/state regulations as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Demonstrate ongoing nurse competency; including cultural competence and special consideration for LGBTQ people across the age continuum.
- Implement procedures to improve the quality of service and maintain patient flow efficiency
- Supervision of phlebotomy room to include licensing and regulations
- Obtain medication prior authorization when applicable
- Implement maintenance and interpretation of nursing practice standards
- Participate in performance improvement activities and supports strategies for improved operations and the provision of excellence in patient care
- Adhere to patient confidentiality and Apicha corporate compliance policy.
- Evaluate the performance of team members as requested for performance appraisals.
- Provide seminars and in-house trainings on addressing patient health care concerns, infection prevention and teaching family caregiver’s strategies on how to manage their loved ones’ conditions.
- Maintain nursing competence through participation in continues professional education and the appropriate learning experience.
Requires full range of body motion and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours. Requires exposure to communicable disease or body fluids and other conditions common to a community health center environment. Ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team relationship to meet the objectives of the department.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing with at least one year of professional nursing experience in a clinic setting.
- Must have a current Registered Nurse License in New York State.
- Must have prior supervisory experience.
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate both in writing and orally.
- Computer literate.
Bilingual, preferably Spanish speaking or South Asian or Asian language. BLS certified.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to JAlives@apicha.org with subject line "Nurse Manager".
Compensation Range: 400 Broadway, 2nd Floor
Compensation Type: Salary
Job Type: Nursing