Position Title: Dentist
306 Lenox Avenue
New York, NY 10027
County: New York (Manhattan)
Contact Name: Human Resources
Contact Phone: 2128032850
CHCANYS Member Info: Member - Organizational
The Dental Clinic at Harlem United provides comprehensive quality dental care in a comfortable and friendly environment. Among its comprehensive services are diagnostics x-rays and exams, preventive care, emergency care, restorations (fillings), endodontics (root canals), prosthodontics (fixed and removable dentures), periodontics (gum treatment), oral surgery (extractions), and referrals to outside specialists for complex surgical procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides dental services.
- Maintains dental expertise and competency (to include age specific competency) as well as demonstrates thorough knowledge of procedures to deliver quality primary dental care.
- Provides dental sessions, as scheduled, in direct patient care at heath center sites, including extended hours clinics.
- Examines, diagnoses, treats and/or refers patients, on an out-patient basis; prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate to assessed dental conditions.
- Supervise the performance of the dental assistant performing his/her job description during patient treatment.
- Supervise the performance of the hygienist performing his/her description during patient treatment.
- Perform examination of the head and neck, the oral cavity, teeth and their supporting structures and diagnosing and abnormalities.
- Assimilate a modality of treatment for each patient to restore form and function to the dentition, treating all existing disease.
- Assimilate a schedule of treatment and hygiene regiment to prevent oral disease processes.
- Perform preventive dentistry procedures listed but limited to pulp capping (direct and indirect), amalgam restoration (with and without pins), composite restorations and cosmetic bonding including diastema closure.
- Perform endodontic procedures listed but not limited to pulp testing, pulpectomies, pulpotomies, root canals, apicoectomies and retrograde filling.
- Perform periodontal procedures listed but not limited to periodontal examination, scaling and root planning, curettage and periodontal surgical procedures including the use of GORTEX and bone grafting.
- Perform prosthetic procedures listed but not limited to crown and bridge preparation fabrication of temporary restorations, preparation of intra canal post preparation of denture abutments fabrication of maxillary and mandibular complete or partial dentures, preparation and fabrication of porcelain laminates.
- Perform oral surgical procedures listed but not limited or simple extraction of one or more teeth, extraction of teeth and their roots requiring the elevation of a flap and or sectioning of teeth, alveoplastry, alveocetomy, tuberosity reduction, removal of tori, biopsy of soft and hard tissue and the removal of epulus.
- Obtains and/or maintains faculty status at residency programs, precepts or arranges for oversight of all dental residents that rotate through the dental department and ensures accuracy of documentation, billing procedures and compliance with payor regulations as well ensures compliance with ADA and residency program regulations.
- Participates in meetings, conferences, and committees to develop and maintain high quality health care.
- Accepts duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Maintains professional courtesy at all times.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Education and Certification
Graduated from an accredited dental institution with a DDS/DMD. One year successful completion of GPR/AEGD Dental Residency. Licensed or eligible for licensure in New York State
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed job responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Experience in a Dental Department in a Community Health Center or similar organization
- Strong understanding of Medicaid and payor guidelines
- Desire to teach residents
- Ability to work in a challenging environment
- Bi-lingual preferable
The employee must be able to lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination. Requires sitting, standing and walking for extensive periods of timeThe employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to work with a moderate noise level in the work environment is required.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org include "Dentist" in email's subject line.
Compensation Type: Salary
Job Type: Dental